Class Participation (Spring 2018)
Due: May 4th, 2017, by 11:59PM UTC-12 (Anywhere on Earth). All participation activities must be completed by this date to be counted in your final average. Intermittent score updates will be posted at weeks 6, 12, and 17.
HCI is a deeply collaborative field, and there is no better way to learn than to interact with your peers, to participate in one another’s usability studies, and to see the variety of approaches taken by your classmates to the class’s assignments. Thus, participation is required. However, we understand that requiring participation has a tendency to incite inauthentic participation. Our goal with the participation policy is to give students enough ways to fulfill their participation credit in the way that is most natural and useful to them.
There are a number of different ways to earn participation points. Our goal is for the participation policy to be “invisible” to most students, in that organic participation is sufficient to fulfill these requirements. If you are active on Piazza (e.g. posting high-quality topics or comments a couple times a week) and complete your peer review tasks, you shouldn’t ever need to worry about the participation policy. We expect that for the majority of students, you’ll earn your participation points without really trying.
The following are the ways you may earn participation credit.
- 1.5 points: Fulfill* an assigned peer review within 4 days of receiving it (by the end of the day Thursday UTC-12).
- 1.0 points: Fulfill* an assigned peer review within 7 days of receiving it (by the end of the day Sunday UTC-12).
- 0.5 points: Fulfill* an assigned peer review 7 days or more after receiving it.
- 1.0 points: Request and fulfill* an additional peer review. Additional peer reviews can be requested from the assignment page in Peer Feedback.
- 0.1 to 3.0 points: Post a high-quality contribution on Piazza (actual point value varies by post).
- 0.5: Complete a classmate’s request for assignment or project participation. You will receive participation tokens to submit for participation credit using a form in Canvas.
- 1.0 points: Complete one of the four course surveys (start-of-course, quarter-course, mid-course, and end-of-course).
- Additional points: Additional points may be awarded based on other things that come up (for example, completing a student spotlight or bringing in a guest for a Q&A).
* – Note that for all peer reviews, the peer review itself must be useful; simply filling out the form and writing a sentence or two isn’t sufficient to receive credit for peer reviews. Note some of the exemplary peer reviews from previous semesters to see what qualifies as a good peer review.
Your number of participation points will be averaged out of 100 possible points and included as 10% of your final average. Earning 100 points or above will give 100% of the possible participation credit.
It’s possible to complete your participation credit through peer review alone (by requesting extra peer reviews), through peer review and Piazza, through peer review and study participation, or through any combination of these things. It generally would be very difficult to complete your participation credit without completing the majority of your peer reviews, however.
Your current participation tally is posted around week 6 and week 12, so you can monitor how well you’re doing. There is no mid-semester deadline on participation; you can take entire weeks off if necessary as long as you earn your points at some point during the semester.